Scores and comments from the Hollywood Film Festival this past weekend. Looks like you all had a really great time!
IN A LONELY PLACE
Audience Score 84%
- Very engaging – powerful emotions and great tension in the story with the seed of doubt sown. Enjoyed the strong performances and the costumes.
- Great character development showing the breakdown of faith between the lovers
- Enjoyed the suspense. Strong female character – one unlucky guy!
- Very dramatic music – did he or did not he?
- Good casting of actors
- Full of tension
- Good to have two films about screenwriters to compare. Look forward to Trumbo
- One of my favourite films – great to see on the big screen. Bogart and Grahame are a spectacular paring – very emotionally intense
- Loved the dialogues, retorts and quips. Something not in modern films. Bogart is fab actor. Loved the story, gripping. Like reading a good book you cannot put down – brilliant performance. Kept you on the edge of your seat. Totally credible. Well worth watching
- Totally compelling
- Loved it …so atmospheric without hi-tec special effects of today – wonderful acting, so much expression in faces and body language – fantastic script with humour – black and white film evokes so much tension and wonderful imagery – great high speed car journey
- Great ending.
- Very engaging, powerful emotions, great tension in the story with the
- Enjoyed the strong performances and the costumes. Naked intensity.
- Predictable but enjoyed
- Interesting from the perspective of how an abusive relationship was viewed in the 50s as opposed to today. Predictable and result end result with issues unresolved.
- Very tense gripping drama
Audience Score 93%
- Very informative –showed warts and all – but what a dreadful episode in US history
- Brilliantly portrayed of individual attempt to live up to b lists for
An enjoyable slice of infamous American history well told. Could have done with a re-write to shorted it slightly
- Use of black and white film with colour emphasized the time. Illustrated not only the madness of the time but the complexities of the characters and subversiveness of the fight back by the accused
- Inspiring and moving. Interesting to see into the history and how it played out in individual lives. The toll it took
- The film showed how paranoid the Americans were at that time. It showed how families were destroyed by the black list
- Interesting period in USA history – could return if Donal Trump becomes president!
- The film very effectively portrayed the strength of Trumbo and many others. It was extremely well written and performed brilliantly by Bryan Cranston. It was a joy to watch and extremely accurate historically also.
- Brilliant film saw all sides of Trumbo’s character
- Inspiring resistance to paranoia
- Glad the good guys won in the end
- Brilliant film – perfect casting, excellent cinematography – dreadful story – a bad time in America -= Helen Mirren as Hedda was great at the end as personification of right wing evil and bigotry – loved Billie Holiday at the end – just the right song!
- Acting superb, the actors playing the ‘real’ actors were life like. Highly recommended I learned a lot in the film of what happed during those times.
- Brilliantly acted – nice to know who were the good guys and who were the baddies