Thursday, 8 November 2018, 2:00 pm & 7:30 pm
2017, Italy / France, 132 minutes, (15) subtitles
Director – Lua Guadagnino
In 1980s Italy, a romance blossoms between a seventeen year-old student and the older man hired as his father’s research assistant.
IMDb – Call Me By Your Name
Rotten Tomatoes – Call Me By Your Name
Wednesday, 11 April 2018, 2:00 pm & 7:30 pm
2017, Chile/Spain, 104 minutes, (R) subtitled
Director – Sebastian Lelio
Daniela Vega plays a transgender singer whose relationship with a much older man is brought abruptly to an end when he suffers a fatal aneurism. Instead of being treated with compassion she is faced with suspicion and contempt from the authorities and hostility from his family. An impressive exposition of courage and strength.
IMDb – A Fantastic Woman
Rotten Tomatoes – A Fantastic Woman
- 13 excellent
- 11 very good
- 2 good
- 2 average
- 1 poor
Giving an overall rating of 78%
- Compassionate film about being transgender and prejudice – lovely voice
- Brilliant, tragic, ugly, sordid, beautiful
- A passionate and powerful resistance to prejudice
- Fab film, nice venue, staff welcoming
- Brilliant performance by Daniela Vega
- Wonderful film and riveting performance by Daniela Vega. Stunning!
- Parts moved me unbelievably other parts left me cold
- An intriguing and moving film not as gripping as I had expected but I enjoyed the upbeat ending
- A very powerful film good music and use of lighting
- Very engaging and sympathetic protagonist – put spotlight on prejudices and raised valuable questions
- Performance was good, cinematography good , too long! Bored!
- I wanted more from this film than I feel it ultimately delivered
The audience gave ‘52 Tuesdays‘ a score of 69.57%
It seemed to have a ‘Marmite’ effect, you either loved it or hated it.
Here are the comments:
- Thought provoking insight into a young person coming to terms with he sexuality amidst uncertainty.
- Complex and compelling.
- Terrific photography. What is male, female, young, old? Still waters run deep.
- Brilliant cinematography. Great casting. Very interesting.
- Disturbing, full of emotion, conflicted ones and true ones. A truly beautiful film.
- The nuclear family goes nuclear! Captured the complexity if a complicated situation very well.
- Whatever happens – Life goes on!
- Very good. Thanks.
- Excellent acting/cinematography – took a while to work out relationships – 2nd half seemed to move at a faster pace – clever directing.
- Not a poor film, appreciate the sentiment but had to watch. ‘Jones’ was not a caring character. Liked the daughter.
- Worse film I have ever seen and I didn’t even see it all. Now that is saying something.
- Lasted until day 4.
Please remember if you leave a comment that I have to be able to read them to be able to type them up to post on the website. They are becoming more difficult to read each time.