The audience gave ‘Dheepan‘ a score of 80%
Here are their comments:
- Out of the frying pan into the fire Very good acting by all
- Fine film spoilt by the shooting spree at the end
- Was the ending intended to represent the life they were expecting – in stark contrast to the one they found themselves living?
- An incredibly well acted reminder of reality in some part of Europe and the world
- Moving, dark and disturbing. Not a pleasing viewing but necessary perhaps. Ending didn’t fit
- Dirty Harry at the end??? Hard work. Don’t think I like film
- Acting outstanding. Totally believable. Quality film
- Multi layered, excellent acting and the tears behind the smiles
- Wow! Why did we have lighting stands on the stage obscuring the film?
- Another thought provoking film. Life is difficult
The comments were as follows:
Very moving film.
A very powerful film. Enjoyed.
Brilliant film. Shame lazy people left their rubbish on the floor. Hope they don’t belong to your club.
The slow pace of the film makes it even more powerful. Varying the strong emotions and feelings.
Cinematography is beautiful. Bit schmaltzy but moving. She’s ???????
Very slow but beautiful. Poignant. Thought there would be more of her life and all that she achieved.
Very atmospheric of a bygone age. Memories live on. The futility of war.
Good content but a bit long.
Disappointed with some of the imagery – a bit clichéd – and too slow – preferred the book!
From the time Vera’s fiancée went to war it was moving and gripping. The pre-war scenes were a little too slow and could have been shorter.
Responses as follows for our screening of ’71 last night
10 very good
Which produces a score of 90%
Comments as follows:
- Beautifully observed. Terrific performances, very close up and in your face, particularly impressed by the sound track and its contribution to the drama.
- Brutal, shocking. The antithesis of the sanitised sentimental telling of the seventies. Very bleak, but very well made.
- Powerful and dramatic, but not exactly life affirming.
- Very powerful film, almost too painful to watch.
- Wonderful to see the humanity that prevails in the most testing of environments.
- I wanted the film to end and put me out of my agony. The confusion multiplied the agony.
- Having served three tours of duty in Northern Ireland myself I found the film to be very depictive of the reality and era. Very very good and realistic.
- War and corruption. Gripping but harrowing.
- Compelling depiction of a dreadful situation.
- In ’71 I was 20. Was it really like this? I fear so, I don’t know so.
- Impossible. Puts a different light for me on the peace process.
- A horrible wonderful film that all should see.
- Very powerful but don’t know if good film.
- Hard hitting. An unpleasant reminder of the troubles.