AUDIENCE REACTION: I Am Not A Witch
Oh dear, a rather mixed reception for ‘I am Not a Witch’ resulted in an overall score of just 52.69%
The voting was as follows:
Very Good 13
- Witch or goat? I suspect watching a goat for an hour and a half might have been slightly more interesting!
- A seriously weird film — but, having said that, one containing many seriously funny moments. A sort of “satire meets magical realism”. A few shots were over-long, I thought, but there was some fine acting, especially from the 8-year-old (?) lead.
- Left many questions but shone a fine light on societal acceptance of abuse
- Arresting scenery and great use of music and scenery
- I like slow paced films but this I must say was too much. But some interesting shots
- Very interesting and unusual film but astonishing at the same time. Very good photography
- Weird but interesting
- A fascinating blend of ancient and modern culture. Beautifully photographed
- Perplexing and interesting
- Sadly subtitles and cataracts don’t go
- Too many questions unanswered but fascinating
- A sinister reminder that superstition and child abuse are still problematic in Africa – well acted and always menacing
- Which witch was which? A sad tale of corruption and child abuse in dark Africa
- Directing and editing unprofessional. Boring. Tradition interestingly frightening. Does it still go on? Was the poor child killed because she didn’t bring the rain? Were all the other ‘witches’ turned into goats at the end?
- One to ponder on
- I suspect there is more to this film that meets the eye and that the film maker has a back story we would benefit from hearing.