Wednesday, 17 October 2018, 2:00 pm & 7:30 pm
2017, Germany/France, 106 minutes, (18) subtitles
Director – Faith Akin
Diane Kruger gives an astonishing, Cannes Best Actress award-winning performance in this riveting thriller. A politically charged tale of grief and violence in Germany. Following the murder of her husband and child by Neo Nazis a Hamburg woman seeks revenge in a desperate fight for justice.
IMDb – In The Fade
Rotten Tomatoes – In The Fade
Wednesday, 19 September 2018, 2:00 pm & 7:30 pm
2017, UK, 107 minutes, (15)
Director – Michael Pearce
A troubled woman living in an isolated community finds herself pulled between the control of her oppressive family and the allure of a secretive outsider suspected of a series of brutal murders.
IMDb – Beast
Rotten Tomatoes – Beast
Well much to talk about after the film last night and always interesting when there are a range of scores.
Who was the BEAST ?
- Excellent 13
- Very Good 10
- Good 5
- Average 1
- Poor 1
Giving an overall scoring of 77.5%
- More questions than answers. Good indeed!
- Seen it all before. Clichéd. Usual stereotypes. Lots of signposting music. Done before, but better
- Must get a land rover
- Thinking, thinking, thinking is all I shall do about this film
- A bit gruesome for me, but still enjoyed it. Coundn’t identify the killer. Beautiful piano music
- Suspense, psychological thriller. Well directed and acted. Throughout the film kept you guessing ‘who done it?’
- Very watchable. Pretty good story
- Tense! Upsetting! Great acting and setting
- Intriguing but I didn’t like the underlying violence
- Intense film. Lots of unanswered questions
Wednesday, 11 April 2018, 2:00 pm & 7:30 pm
2017, Chile/Spain, 104 minutes, (R) subtitled
Director – Sebastian Lelio
Daniela Vega plays a transgender singer whose relationship with a much older man is brought abruptly to an end when he suffers a fatal aneurism. Instead of being treated with compassion she is faced with suspicion and contempt from the authorities and hostility from his family. An impressive exposition of courage and strength.
IMDb – A Fantastic Woman
Rotten Tomatoes – A Fantastic Woman
- 13 excellent
- 11 very good
- 2 good
- 2 average
- 1 poor
Giving an overall rating of 78%
- Compassionate film about being transgender and prejudice – lovely voice
- Brilliant, tragic, ugly, sordid, beautiful
- A passionate and powerful resistance to prejudice
- Fab film, nice venue, staff welcoming
- Brilliant performance by Daniela Vega
- Wonderful film and riveting performance by Daniela Vega. Stunning!
- Parts moved me unbelievably other parts left me cold
- An intriguing and moving film not as gripping as I had expected but I enjoyed the upbeat ending
- A very powerful film good music and use of lighting
- Very engaging and sympathetic protagonist – put spotlight on prejudices and raised valuable questions
- Performance was good, cinematography good , too long! Bored!
- I wanted more from this film than I feel it ultimately delivered